Welcome to this page, dealing with the cosmetic surgery of nose Obviously, unhappy with your nose, looking for "smaller, cuter, narrower, shorter, longer, better nose...". You are not alone. Rhinoplasty is one of most common cosmetic surgery operation in demand.
Anatomy of the Nose : Shape of your nose depends upon size, shape and alignment of Nasal bone and nasal cartilages [ see picture]. Skin covers [drapes] the framework formed by bone and cartilages giving the shape.
Experienced cosmetic surgeon needs to appreciate the underlying structural defect responsible for dissatisfaction of the patient. Accordingly, he tailors the technique artistically to create the desired and required shape of patient's nose.
You may be in need of one or more than one of the following Rhinoplasty techniques :
1. Augmentation Rhinoplasty : Small size of nose needs augmentation. This is done putting an nasal implant over the bony and cartilaginous framework, under the skin. Usually L-shaped implant is used supplied by international manufacturers.
2. Reduction Rhinoplasty : Large or heavy nose needs reduction in size. Usually bony and/or cartilaginous structure needs to be tailored to size, as per the need of the patient.
3. Revision Rhinoplasty : Patient who had undergone Rhinoplasty in the past, but, are still unhappy with the outcome; can undergo revision Rhinoplasty. Selection of the experienced certified cosmetic surgeon is necessary, who can understand your problem and tailor the Rhinoplasty technique accordingly.
4. Nose Tip plasty : If you wish to have a cuter sharp and front projecting nose, instead of large, bulbous, parrot beak like or deformed nose tip - you will need nose tip plasty. Resetting of the tip and nasal cartilages are required to be done skillfully and artistically
5. Alar Plasty / Alar Reduction : Flared and wide nasal openings are usually source of fun and amusements to others; causing complexed feelings to the suffering patient. Cosmetic Rhinoplasty done to correct this problem is know as Alar plasty or Alar reduction
6. Hump Nose Reduction : Bony projection on the nose bridge looks awkward. It is possible to shave the extra bone gently to give smoother straight nose bridge.
7. Deviated Deformed Nose / Corrective Rhinoplasty :Patients having multiple problems with the nose structure, may be as a result of injury, overgrowth of nasal septum, previous nose surgery or some disease falls in this category. Such patient needs more than one of above techniques combined together tailored to give the desired outcome.
8. Post Cleft Lip Nasal Deformity : Cleft lip nose deformity is congenital i.e. inborn. Repair for this problem is done usually in early life. As the child grows deformity of nose and lip becomes more and more evident. Patient with post cleft lip nasal deformity usually have multiple anatomical defects including under developed cheek bone of the effected side. Meticulous understanding of the anatomical defect and accordingly planning and surgical execution is needed to be done by experienced cosmetic surgeon to fix all the defects.
Ideal candidates for Rhinoplasty :
You must have realistic expectations about what the procedure can do about you.
Ideal candidates for Rhinoplasty are people who are looking for improvement, not perfection in the way they look.
If you are physically healthy, psychologically stable and realistic in your expectations, you may be a good candidate.
Planning for Rhinoplasty :
During the consultation, doctor will discuss with you about the changes you would like to make in your appearance. You will be told about the different options available to you, the procedure itself, its risks & limitations and the cost.
Your complete medical history including allergy, diet & exercise etc. will be recorded. You are supposed to tell about any medications that you are currently taking. Be sure to ask all the questions you have in your mind about the procedure & the results. Learning everything you can about your options, risk & benefits is the key to making an informed decision.
How Long the Procedure Takes :
On average, the procedure takes one to two hours.
Hospital Stay :
Rhinoplasty is performed usually on out patient basis and patient is allowed to go home few hours after the procedure is over. If you have undergoing several procedures at once, you may need to stay in the hospital overnight.
The procedure may be performed under the general anesthesia. It can also be done under local anesthesia with light sedation, or, local anesthesia with deep sedation.
Operation : During surgery the skin of the nose is separated from its supporting framework of bone and cartilage, which is then sculpted to the desired shape. The nature of sculpting will depend on your problem and the preferred technique. Finally the skin is re-draped over the new framework.
Back to Normal :
Most Rhinoplasty patients are up and about within two days, and able to return to school or sedentary work a week or so following surgery. However, 5 days restful routine is adviced.
Exact figure will be worked out on your visit to the hospital after consultation.
If you are contacting from outside India, or far off place, please send YOUR PICTURES through email with the desired changes, and you will get the immediate reply.